Oracle has released today (April 4, 2023) the new Oracle Database 23c Free (Developer Release). This marks a significant change within the Oracle delivery model of only delivering a free database (as per example XE) after the full version is available to the public. This clearly shows Oracle’s commitment to the developer community, allowing developers to have a head start before any commercial version of 23c becomes available in the market.
Some key links regarding the new Oracle Database 23c Free are:
- User Forum: https://forums.oracle.com/ords/apexds/domain/dev-community/category/oracle-database-free
- Product page: https://www.oracle.com/database/free/
- Vanity URL – version specific: https://oracle.com/23cfree
- Vanity URL – version independent: https://oracle.com/oracledbfree
- Press release: https://www.oracle.com/news/announcement/oracle-database-23c-free-developer-release-2023-04-03/
- Announcement blog post: https://blogs.oracle.com/database/post/oracle-database-23c-free
- Download page: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/free-downloads.html
- Docker repo: docker pull container-registry.oracle.com/database/free
- VirtualBox VM page: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/databaseappdev-vm.html
- Doc landing page: https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/23/index.html
- New Features Guide: https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/23/nfcoa/introduction.html
- Installation Guide: https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/23/xeinl/index.html
Note: Oracle Free is available for Linux on Oracle.com as an RPM, and on the Oracle Container Repository as a Podman Container. As Oracle XE before, Oracle Database 23c Free has a few limitations that can be found in more detail at the installation guide/licensing restrictions, like: 2 cores for processing, 12GB for storage, and 2GB for RAM.
Francisco Munoz Alvarez
Oracle Database 23c Free – Developer Release is the first release of the next-generation Oracle Database, allowing developers a head-start on building applications with innovative 23c features that simplify development of modern data-driven apps. The entire feature set of Oracle Database 23c is planned to be generally available within the next 12 months.